Wednesday, December 25, 2019

The shopping experience



My how things have changed since my childhood. Shopping used to be such an amazing experience. My mother preferred Wanamaker's department store in downtown Philadelphia. We'd take the trollies down to center city and walk the short distance around 'Billy Penn' to the store. It was a magical experience, especially at Christmas when the gorgeous building was decorated with the most opulent and magnificent decorations for Christmas. It was back in the time of Miracle on 34th Street, when Gimbel's, Macy's and Wanamaker's were jostling for market share. You didn't buy quantity. You bought quality. Things that wouldn't go out of style and were superbly made to last. How times have changed in one lifetime.

The eagle at Wanamaker's was iconic. If my mother, my sister, and I got separated, we were to return to meet up at the eagle. You could always find your way there.

Now we shop online at amazon with Prime delivery making it a snap. But we can't touch the fabric in advance, we can't see the quality, we can't smell the natural fibres. We look for reviews by others who have done so and hope, that when it arrives, it will be as promised. I miss the days when it took some effort to shop. We'd stop at the candy department on our way out and get chocolate coated orange peels and Napoleans from the bakery department.

I will never forget those experiences with my mom. Especially, when she asked for the 'shits' department. It's 'sheets' ma, 'sheets' not 'shits'.

Happy Christmas everyone, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment