Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Why children of immigrants succeed

Fascinating article about the success of children of immigrants in the US. I love the new way of doing interactive graphics. 

I was often asked what my parents did to raise three successful children in one immigrant family. I only knew that my parents (from Ukraine) stressed doing well in school (A was not enough -- it needed to be an A+), choosing the 'acceptable' professions (doctor, lawyer, engineer), and working hard. And my father always told me I could be anyone I wanted to be -- even President of the United States of America since I was the first in the family born there. 

My brother was an engineer and high-level executive at Unisys. My sister was a highly respected infectious disease physician known globally. I broke the patterns - I was a scientist turned marketer who ended up running companies on Madison Avenue. My mother wanted me to be a lawyer but later used to call me her daughter the President. Hahaha!

It was the American story. Three immigrant kids making their way in America, the promised land.



No comments:

Post a Comment