Thursday, January 5, 2023

Keepers of the culture

Me, circa 1959


I am going through such revelations with the Ukrainians in my circle here. The Russian speakers don't believe that I do not understand Russian because everyone in Ukraine understands both languages. They think I am pretending to make a point. So many words the Ukrainian-speakers use are Russian without them knowing it. They have very little understanding of Ukrainian history before the Soviet Union. Fortunately, I kept all my books from Uki school, and I am sharing my Encyclopedia for Young People so they can study pre-soviet history. It includes history, culture, archeology, anthropology, sociology, literature and more. Such a fascinating and heart-breaking journey. We have about 60,000 displaced Ukrainians in Ireland, none of whom wanted to leave their country, all of whom are grateful to be welcomed here.


No comments:

Post a Comment