Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Irish came from Ukraine

I have always felt that there was an alignment of the Irish and Ukrainian cultures. My mother noticed that both liked potatoes, singing, and spirits. But since living here, I have noticed many parallels that made me wonder about the anthropological connections. Perhaps I noticed these connections because I studied anthropology as a minor in University. Perhaps, as a scientist, I am just observant and happen to have a unique combination of perspectives to draw on. As a Ukrainian American Irishwoman, I was uniquely positioned to notice the anciently-rooted similarities rather than the modern day differences.


Ironically, just this year, a genetic study by scientists at Trinity demonstrated that the people who came to this island nation known as Celts originated in the area of Europe that is now Ukraine. 

But why? The Celts apparently came to Ireland in a great migration as the DNA shows. They brought with them the genetic determinants for blue eyes and brown hair, as well as for hemochromatosis, a rare genetic disorder that has become known as the Celtic disease. Knowing Ukraine as I do, and if you've ever played Risk you know the answer too, the area was indefensible. They were farmers not warriers. There were many other sects passing through at the time.

They brought with them the agricultural skills developed in what's known as the "breadbasket of Europe." As archaeology is not as well developed in Ukraine as in Ireland, perhaps the evidence of ancient fields like those at Ceidi fields is yet to be discovered.


There are the similarities in certain unusual traditions, like straw boys and malanka, wren boys and schedryk and an ancient reverence of trees. The Irish language even sounds similar to Ukrainian in many respects. I wish I was young enough to learn it and retain it so I could study the structures of both, as I am still relatively fluent in Ukrainian.

I was raised Ukrainian in America and yet I chose to live in Ireland. I have examined what home means to people over the years. Is it the place where you come from or the house that you live in?  Is it the place where your loved ones are? Where is home for those who live aboard their vessels moving from one place to another when they tire of the view?  What does home mean to the migrants or homeless on the streets? What is home to the Irish Travelers? I have come to the conclusion that it is different for each person, and to me home is where my heart feels content. Home is Clew Bay.

Maybe I really do have a gene which homes in on Ireland as the place to come home to. Maybe I was really meant to sail home after all. My parents sailed across on an ocean liner having been unwilling immigrants; I completed their loop by sailing back willingly to where I felt I belonged. I will continue with my observations and field notes and try to uncover what it is about Ireland that makes me feel that it is home. 


Original study: http://www.pnas.org/content/113/2/368

Media reports:
http://empr.media/culture/history/irish-celtic-people-originated-ukraine/
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-have-roots-in-the-middle-east-and-black-sea-scientists-discover-34319957.html
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/ancient-irish-genomes-reveal-massive-migrations-british-isles/
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/dec/28/origins-of-the-irish-down-to-mass-migration-ancient-dna-confirms
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3377264/Irish-people-descendants-farmers-MIDDLE-EAST-Ancient-Celtic-DNA-shows-agriculture-caused-wave-immigrants-Ireland.html
https://ansionnachfionn.com/2015/12/29/majority-of-irish-dna-may-have-originated-in-the-middle-east-and-eastern-europe/

6 comments:

  1. I came across your blog just recently. I’m also a 1st generation Ukrainian American that chose to live in Ireland. My journey started with business trips to Dublin, then corporate assignments. I almost immediately felt an affinity and connection to Ireland the country and Irish as a people. Now naturalised, I’ve lived here over 25 years and it’s my home for life, I’ve no intention of leaving. Reading your blog I’m delighted to see I’m not an anomaly. Perhaps our paths with cross some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anatoly,
      I had trouble for a long time responding to comments on my blog. I am delighted to make your acquaintance. I am naturalized as well and have been here 14 years. Are you still in Dublin? We are on the west coast. I would love to compare notes with you. I hope we do have occasion to meet.

      Delete
  2. I discovered your blog while looking for an Irish-Ukrainian flags motif to post for the Ukrainian Day of Unity tomorrow. Interesting to find one posted here in the West (I'm in Galway). Your comment on Ukrainian and Irish sounding similar reminded me of the time a German man thanked me in Polish when paying for his coffee. He had heard me talking to friends (in Irish) and refused to accept that I had not been speaking Polish! (I know Polish and Ukrainian are different languages but there must be some similarity of sound between all three languages somehow).I hope Ukraine and Ukrainians stay strong and that Europe and the world continues to support them against that monster Putin. Yes there are similarities (I also love what I have heard of Ukrainian music which I explored a little after liking last years Eurovision entry - This year's is good also!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dominic,
      Very interesting! Indeed Polish is very similar to Ukrainian even though it does not use the Cyrillic alphabet. I can understand more Polish than Russian. Russian has a lot of Asian sounds.

      Thank you for your kind sentiments. I am very hopeful that Putin will back off and give Germany the credit for their diplomacy as a reason. The Ukrainian anthem is in essence 'Ukraine has not died yet'. It gives you an idea of Ukrainian perseverance.

      I love Galway!!! Spent many weeks there on our boat during the Volvo Ocean Race events.

      Delete
  3. Think I just lost a comment there when I clicked 'preview'!
    Interesting that you can understand Polish. I tried to discover an 'intermediate' Slavic language once. The best contender might be Ruskyn (Carpathians)but it seems to be in decline.
    Yes 'the Volvo' was wonderful - No one could believe the amazing weather at the first event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi peeps and merry Christmas ...
    Came accross this blog as result of trying to find something on subject of celts connections with ukraine. This is due ti having strong and strange feeling of ukrainian connection with irish which am sensing in Zilinsky meeting with Biden .. Even first is of jewish and Biden of Irish ...
    Beeing myself Polish and living in UK .. lived briefly in Ireland .. having somehow feeling of strong connection with celtic cultures and interest in history origin of human .. have checked celts did habitate live territories of Ukraine .. also parts if southern Poland .. Austria .. Czech Slovakia France Germany etc ..
    Living in along celt descendants in UK and Ireland .. alwats was amazed similarity found or seen with folksbof Ukraine or some of Poland and other european countries. Remember back home knew people resambling so much people we know as celts. Following closely situation in Ukraine ... cannot stop noticing their similar nature to celts .. I am aware of diversity in Ukraine ( is it jewish, turks, russian, polish etc ) or Ireland where think first settlers were Basque people .. reason lots Irish having dark hair .. not typical celt skin hair etc ...
    Just wondering how much Biden and lot if international community is subconsciously or consciously aware if heritage links and closenest with Ukraine people..
    Myself Polish feel rather strong connection with peeos in Ukraine .. its not only the lingo which is close .. It is more with human nature ..
    What have learnt people with possible celtic ancestry.. were they Irish Scottish French etc or shoots like in UK new generations .. have similar way of being .. If not to forget similarity as celts and Ukraine do look similar too .. red ginger curls blond blue green eyes fave features etc ...
    If ukraine if is was place where celts, one of main settlers populating europe and spreading with migration to usa australia etc
    It would explain perhaps how present war situation resonate so strongly with europe, Poland .. UK .. USA ..
    Wondering if anyone find my few words constructive ...
    Stsy well all and merry Xms ..

    ReplyDelete