Friday, June 27, 2014

Ukraine joins the EC!


A Historic Day for Ukraine 

As Ukraine draws closer to the EU amid protests from Russia and an expiring cease-fire with separatists, hope wells up that President Petro Poroshenko can really make a difference.  I have been silent since May, watching along with the rest of the world to see if our fragile sovereign nation could hold itself together, free of Russian influence. Today, just about an hour ago, President Poroshenko signed an agreement that aligns Ukraine with Europe instead of Asia, with the west instead of the east. And it appears that Putin is looking for a way out. Let's hope he finds a reasonable one.



The Poroshenko interview with Christiane Amanpour, a real gem in the news media field in my opinion, was epic.  He was eloquent, came across as honest and forthright, with integrity and fervor. I was impressed and invigorated. I believed. I believed that Ukraine has a right to be free and a sovereign nation. He talked about us all around the world backing Ukraina.  You bet, with or without a chocolate empire. Petro, please send the chocolates that Putin won't let you sell everywhere else. The diaspora will gobble them up.  Package them in Ukrainian flags intertwined with EU flags and they will fly off the shelves around Europe and North America. Call them Freedom Chocolates.  Label them Slava Ukraini and we will buy them all.

My birthday is coming up this weekend and I had really wanted to celebrate it by visiting Ukraine for the first time in my life. It would have been amazing and yet I let the unrest stop me. Why?  I should have gone there to see how I could help. I suppose I am just a weak American, unused to conflict. Now, I wish I had made those reservations and plans to be there for the beginning of this new chapter in Ukraine's life. For I do believe that it represents a new beginning, a hopeful one, a promising one, one that I'd like to play some part in.

I have just resolved to make my way to Ukraina to see what I can contribute. How about you? What is your role? How can we all help?

No comments:

Post a Comment